Professional Associations Directory
AMA Australian Medical Association
Work Phone: 02 6270 5400work
The Australian Medical Association (AMA) is the peak membership organisation representing the registered medical practitioners (doctors) and medical students of Australia.
The AMA promotes and protects the professional interests of doctors and the health care needs of patients and communities.
The AMA advocates on behalf of its members and the community at the Federal and State and Territory levels by:
- working with governments to maintain and increase provision of world class medical care to all Australians;
- tracking and reporting government performance on health policy, financing, services and programs;
- challenging governments on policy that potentially harms the interests of patients;
- providing informed and authoritative expert medical commentary on health issues in the media, political debate, and public forums;
- leading the health policy debate by developing and promoting alternative policies to those government policies that the AMA considers poorly targeted or ill-informed; responding to issues in the health debate through the provision of a wide range of expert resources; and commissioning and conducting research on health issues.